You are Here: Home / Benwell, Ferguson's Lane, Rex Cinema
Benwell, Ferguson's Lane, Rex Cinema
The Rex was designed by S.J. Stephenson and Gillis for the circuit owned by H.T. Smelt. It opened on 8 December 1937. The façade was in sand-faced brick of two colours. There was a canopy with neon lights over the pavement. The entrance hall and foyer were finished in walnut panelling. There were 1012 seats. Green and gold curtains hung in the decorative plaster proscenium arch. The foyer was decorated with black horizontal bands and strips of vermillion. The frieze and ceilings were pink. The auditorium walls were green and cream, the splay ceilings light orange, with a design of gold, cream and vermillion. The Rex had a café and integral sweet shop. In 1954 the cinema was sold to W.J. Clavering. From November 1963 it was owned by Consett Cinemas Ltd. It closed on 10 August 1968 and is now a social club.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 151; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 84, 116, 152, 154, 161