Fast Search

You are Here: Home / East Denton Hall

Tyne and Wear HER(1304): East Denton Hall - Details

Back to Search Results


1304


Newcastle


East Denton Hall


East Denton


NZ16NE


Domestic


House


Manor House


Post Medieval


C17


Extant Building


Denton Hall (or East Denton Hall) is the only remaining feature of the pre-modern settlement. A three-storey stone house, with west porch, and east staircase block. Notable for its fine mullioned windows. Over the porch is the date 1622, and the initials of Anthony and Dorothy Errington, the builders, Anthony having been granted the manor in 1601/2. LISTED GRADE 1


1986


6566


NZ19866566



<< HER 1304 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, East and West Denton and Sugley Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, pp. 185-87, 191 W.A. Hoyle, 1887, Denton Hall, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, II (for 1885-86), pp. 42-45 N. Pevsner, rev, various, 1992, Northumberland, Buildings of England, 515-16 W.W. Tomlinson, 1894, Denton hall and its associations, pp. 103-116 A.D. Walton, 1977, Mrs Montagu - The Bluestocking of Mayfair and Denton Hall, Newcastle Geordie Life

Back to Search Results