You are Here: Home / Fawdon Colliery B Pit
Fawdon Colliery B Pit
Coal Mining Site
Fawdon B Pit (Coal). Marked as Old on the 2nd edition OS mapping, so out of use by 1895. Part of Fawdon Colliery and Fawdon West Pit - both marked on Bell's map of 1847. Called " Burn Pit " by the British Geological Survey. The colliery opened in 1810, B Pit in 1813. There were several pits - A Pit, Engine Pit (HER 4011), E Pit (opened in 1823) and F Pit (opened in 1836 for draining water). Fawdon Colliery was owned by Newmarch Sons & Co. On 5 September 1827, an explosion killed 2 miners and injured 3. An inclined plane linked the colliery to Kenton Bankfoot by fixed engine (see HER 1078). Thomas Hair drew a picture of the colliery in 1844.
<< HER 4002 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 88; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Thomas Hair, 1844, Views of the colleries in the counties of Northumberland and Durham; R. Welford, 1879, A History of the Parish of Gosforth