Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Fenham, Barracks

Tyne and Wear HER(4093): Fenham, Barracks - Details

Back to Search Results


4093


Newcastle


Fenham, Barracks


Fenham


NZ26NW NZ26SW


Domestic


Military Residence


Barracks


Post Medieval


C18


Extant Building


Fenham Barracks (formerly Newcastle Barracks) has almost two centuries of some form of military activity. The building of the barracks was prompted by the Lord Mayor (James Rudmann) writing to the then Home Secretary in 1793 at the instigation of coal and landowners, as well as businessmen, fearing any revolutionary sentiments of the local populace. Agreement was reached between the Newcastle Companies and the Government in 1804 for a total of 11 acres to be rented annually at a rate of £55. The barracks were originally designed to house cavalry and artillery units. The two-storey barracks were designed by James Johnson and John Saunders and construction was complete by April 1806 and cost £40, 000. Room was provided for 271 men and 294 horses or alternatively 601 men and 292 horses. Further expansion was made to the north as a result of army reforms of the 1870s. Buildings created during this phase included hospital, new guardhouse, reading room, married quarters, magazine and messes. Several of the original barrack blocks were demolished in 1938. The barracks wall, guard houses, barracks O block, former officers' mess, barracks P block, former segeants' mess are all listed buildings grade 2; the entrance lodges, walls and gate piers are listed buildings grade 2*. The north guard house has been converted into a restaurent, the officers’ and sergeants’ mess into student accomodation. LISTED GRADE 2 AND 2*


2363


6517


NZ23636517



<< HER 4093 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest T.L. Hewitson, 1999, A Soldier's Life. The Story of Newcastle Barracks, established 1806 F.C. Moffatt, Oh to be a soldier! The story of Fenham, Berwick and Tynemouth, privately printed N. Pevsner & I. Richmond, 1992, The Buildings of England - Northumberland J. Douet, 1998, British Barracks 1600 - 1914 RCHME, 1995, Town Moor, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Survey Report, p 39 J.R. Breihan, 1990, Army Barracks in the North East in the Era of the French Revolution, Archaeologia Aeliana, 5, XVIII, pp 165-176; North of England Civic Trust, February 2009, Spital Tongues, Newcastle upon Tyne - Suggested Conservation Area Scoping Study, Draft Report

Back to Search Results