Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Elswick, Houston Street, Barber-Surgeons Hall

Tyne and Wear HER(4648): Elswick, Houston Street, Barber-Surgeons Hall - Details

Back to Search Results


4648


Newcastle


Elswick, Houston Street, Barber-Surgeons Hall


Elswick


NZ26SW


Civil


Meeting Hall


Guildhall


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


When the Barber-Surgeons Hall at Manors (HER ref. 498) was demolished in 1851 for the building of the railway, the railway company made amends by building a new hall at the top of Victoria Street, Westmorland Road, where it still stands. The building is by John Dobson, built in sandstone ashlar with long horizontal quoins, with three central bays recessed and arcaded. DE PRESCENTIA DEI is inscribed around central window head. The façade of the building is Palladian in style. In 1862 the building was bought from the Barber-Surgeons and conveyed to St Paul's Church for use as a school. In 1863 it became St. Paul's Church of England School. In 1934 brick classrooms were built around the hall. The hall still survives, but is in rather poor condition. LISTED GRADE 2


2383


6398


NZ23836398



<< HER 4648 >> W. Bulmer and Prof. N. Hodgson, 1958, The Barber-Surgeons Company of Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XXXVI (1958), p 73-80 Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special … Interest, 11/317 T. Faulkner & A. Greg, 2001, John Dobson - Architect of the North East, p 113-114; T. Faulkner and A. Greg, 1987, John Dobson Newcastle Architect 1787-1865, pp 89-90; Newcastle City Council, 2001, Summerhill Conservation Area Character Statement, p 41

Back to Search Results