Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Hebburn, Church Street, Nos. 2-5, St. Andrew's Centre

Tyne and Wear HER(8148): Hebburn, Church Street, Nos. 2-5, St. Andrew's Centre - Details

Back to Search Results


8148


S Tyneside


Hebburn, Church Street, Nos. 2-5, St. Andrew's Centre


Hebburn


NZ36NW


Civil


Meeting Hall


Church Hall


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Formerly St Andrew's Church Hall. Community Centre and school. Circa 1872 by R J Johnson of Newcastle. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar plinth, quoins and cornice; roof of Welsh slate; wooden spirelet. Plan a long rectangle with wings at rear corners and classrooms adjacent to rear; Gothic style. 2 storeys, 6 bays having rectangular 3-light windows below. Gothic 2-light into gabled dormers above; entrances in extreme left and right bays, that at the right with original 'Girls School' inscription; saddleback staircase towers adjoin at rear corners, Gothic windows to front. Roof has dormers front and rear in each bay, those at the rear alternating with wide chimneys, all but one now truncated; 2 end chimneys; all chimneys corniced. Flat stone gable coping; central louvred timber spirelet. LISTED GRADE 2


3053


6506


NZ30536506



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 1/75; Peter Ryder, 2014, St. Andrew Presbyterian Church & St. Andrew's Centre - Historic Buildings Recording

Back to Search Results