You are Here: Home / Newcastle, Clayton Street West, Cathedral of St. Mary
Description: A view of St. Mary's R.C. Cathedral, Neville Street/Bewick Street, Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1928. The photograph shows the east end of the cathedral with its triple roof and three stained glass windows. The presbytery is to the left. There is a small group of men with posters standing on the corner of Neville Street and Bewick Street. Part of a hotel on Clayton Street can be seen in the background. Cars and a bus are parked on Bewick Street.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Cathedrals Collection
Accession number: NCL 025549
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Clayton Street West, Cathedral of St. Mary
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Roman Catholic Cathedral
Roman Catholic Cathedral. Circa 1844;a major composition by A.W.H Pugin. Tower completed c. 1872 by A.M. Dunn and E.J. Hansom. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roofs of graduated slates with overlapping stone gable copings; stone spire. Aisled nave and chancel without division; south-west polygonal chapel now entrance porch, and to east of this the tower. Decorated style. West double door with elaborate hinges in moulded and shafted surround; 5-light window above flanked by niches with figures; reticulated tracery to 3- light west aisle windows under gables; gabled buttresses. South door, in tall tower, similar to west door; upper stages of tower have cusped lancets, slits and 2-light belfry openings under crocketed dripmould with fantastic beast finials; quatrefoil pierced parapet has corner pinnacles with spirelets; tall octagonal spire has crocketed lucarnes, weathercock finial. 3-light aisle windows, 6-light at east. Interior: plaster above boarded dado with tiled frieze; angel corbels support scissor - braced roof trusses; round piers to 7-bay nave and chancel, with moulded arches. Caen stone altar and reredos with much carving; similar style lectern and pulpit. LISTED GRADE 1
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 22/184; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 29, 58-61; A Description of St. Mary's Catholic Church, Newcastle-upon Tyne, Founded Aug. 1842, Dedicated 21 Aug 1844, published 1848; Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 122-124