Tyne and Wear HER(122): Tynemouth Castle, Roman tile and coin of Constantius II - Details
Tynemouth Castle, Roman tile and coin of Constantius II
A Roman tile, inscribed LEG VI V, was found in 1856 when the present ditch in front of the castle was being excavated and came into the possession of the Rev. Thomas Stephens, vicar of Horsley. A coin of Constantius II (337-361 A.D.) was found on the same occasion.
<< HER 122 >> H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, VIII, p. 38 note 2 J. Latimer, 1857, Local Records, 1832-57 p. 385 Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 1889, 2, III, pp. 36, 307