Tyne and Wear HER(1242): Walbottle village - Details
The earliest certain documentary reference appears to be from 1272. In 1296 there were 10 tenants, and roughly this number survived throughout the Middle Ages. As part of the manor of Newburn, Walbottle was the property of the Percy earls of Northumberland from the 14th century. In a map of 1620 it is shown as having 3 fields - West, Quarry and East Fields. The village is built round a green, the shape of which has changed over the years. The early roads into it were the eastern route from the Military Road, and from the south. The west route from the Military Road appeared later, and follows the course of a stream to a pond which lay originally in the centre of the green. The village has been largely rebuilt since the mid 20th century.
<< HER 1242 >> Newcastle Record Series, 1921, Northumberland Pleas, 1198-1272, II, no. 888 p. 320 C.M. Fraser, Lay Subsidy Roll of 1296, Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle Monograph, p. 65 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Walbottle, Butterley and Whorlton Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, pp. 145-9, 155-158 Alnwick Castle, Duke of Northumberland's MSS, 1620, Newburn Manor, Class O, Div. XVII, no. 1 J. Thompson, 1767, Lordship of Newburn, Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell, 45.2 1808, Walbottle Dean Farm, Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell, 14.5 1822, Field names -Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell, 45.6a & b (date unknown), Field names -Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell, 14.4 Tithe Award,1848, Walbottle -Northumberland Records Office, DT 468M 19th century - Northumberland Records Office ZAN Bell, 68.3