Tyne and Wear HER(1272): Chapel House, milecastle 9, 5 building-stones - Details
Chapel House, milecastle 9, 5 building-stones
Five building-stones in the footing-course of Chapel House milecastle (no. 9), found in 1929, 1 and 2 on adjacent stones in the south face of the south wall, 3 and 4 on adjacent stones in the north face of the south wall, and 5 on the east face of the east wall next to a stone inscribed with X. Now lost. Each of the five stones reads: VIII.
<< HER 1272 >> E.B. Birley, 1930, Excavations on Hadrian's Wall west of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1929, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, VII, 160 and pl. xlv.1 G.R.B. Spain, 1930, Inscribed and Sculptured Stones, Northumberland County History, XIII, 562 no. 8 R.G. Collingwood & R.P. Wright, 1965, The Roman Inscriptions of Britain, 1370