Tyne and Wear HER(12851): Fenham, Westgate Road, Plaza Cinema - Details
Title of image: Plaza Cinema, Westgate Road/Gowland Ave, Fenham
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Theatres Collection
Accession number: NCL 030143
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Fenham, Westgate Road, Plaza Cinema
Opened on 6 February 1928. Built by H.T. and W.A. Smelt to compliment the adjoining housing estate. The architect was S.J. Stephenson. The auditorium could hold 1256 people. There was an 18 feet deep stage with a music room and six dressing rooms underneath. There was an orchestra and a Blackett and Howden organ. Two small shops were included on the frontage to Westgate Road. The dÃ©cor was in gold and cream. The Plaza was opened by the Sheriff of Newcastle. British Acoustic sound was installed in 1930. The Plaza was taken over by W.J. Clavering in March 1954. It closed on 31 December 1960. Plans to convert it into a supermarket in 1963 were refused. In August 1964 it became a bingo hall. More recently it has been a public house.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 133-134; Newcastle Libraries, 1988, Bygone Fenham; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 62-63, 95, 152, 154, 160