Tyne and Wear HER(1391): South Gosforth, Haddrick's Mill - Details
South Gosforth, Haddrick's Mill
Water Power Production Site
Humphrey Lisle in 1539 granted the water mill of South Gosforth to William Hetherwick. Later known as Harrick's Mill, it seems to have continued in use into the 19th century, and to have become part of a hamlet which, in 1813, was the subject of a conveyance and described as a Water Corn Mill, Public House, Cottages and Closes of land.... The first edition Ordnance Survey map shows the mill on the west bank of the Ouse Burn, east of Haddrick's Mill Road, and south of the present road junction. A mill race came off the burn north of the junction, and ran alongside the road to the mill.
<< HER 1391 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, South Gosforth and Coxlodge Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 343 Shafto Papers, 19th century, Durham University Archives & Special Collection nos. 406, 408 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1858, 6 inch scale, LXXXVIII; R. Welford, 1879, A History of the Parish of Gosforth