Tyne and Wear HER(1411): Walker village - Details
A member of the 12th century barony of Merlay or Morpeth, it had 5 taxpayers in 1296, 7 in 1312, but only 2 in 1336. The actual settlement was clearly always small, and seems to have been reduced to a farm and some cottages by the mid 19th century (Old Walker). Newcastle Corporation bought the manor of Walker in the 18th century. In the 19th century the area became heavily industrialised, and the site of the old village covered with housing. Old Walker abutted the south side of the line of the Roman Wall and the east side of Scrogg Road. Maps from 1745 show the triangular "Town Green".
<< HER 1411 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Walker Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 406, 435-441 J. Brand, 1789, Newcastle, II, 514 Tithe Awards, 1843, Walker, Northumberland Records Office, DT 469 S E. Mackenzie, 1825, Northumberland S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 522- Northumberland Records Office (date unknown), Walker Estate, Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll, 20a.1; T. Crawford, 1904, Notes on Walker