Tyne and Wear HER(1421): Byker, Chapel of St. Ann - Details
Byker, Chapel of St. Ann
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
In 1344 Robert of Byker granted to John Segerstane, a hermit, a plot of land in Byker 200 feet square, and a lane 20 feet wide extending from the plot to the Tyne, held from the manor of Byker, on which to build a chapel in honour of the Virgin Mary and St. Ann. This was on land which, in 1549, was annexed to Newcastle. In 1597 the chapel was used as a hospital during a plague outbreak. After the Reformation it fell into decay, but in 1628 was repaired at the expense of the town, and continued in use until replaced in 1768 by the present church. In the 18th century it was described as a chapel of ease to All Saints.
<< HER 1421 >> H. Bourne, 1736, History of Newcastle, 154-5 TW.H. Knowles & J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, 89-90 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Part of the Chapelry of All Saints, Northumberland County History, XIII, 257