Tyne and Wear HER(1446): Newcastle, Clavering Place, Roman structural remains - Details
Newcastle, Clavering Place, Roman structural remains
Over most of the area excavated to reveal the Carmelite Friary 2, west of Clavering Place and south of Forth Street, "there was a layer of brown clay which contained Roman pottery" of the 2nd-3rd centuries A.D. and which sealed features, some of which may have been the remains of structures. One was a possible north- south construction trench; elsewhere there was a pile of cobbles, 3 courses deep. No Roman burials were found.
<< HER 1446 >> B. Harbottle, 1968, Excavations at the Carmelite Friary, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1965 & 1967, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XLVI, 178-9