Tyne and Wear HER(1562): Newcastle town wall, Wallknoll or Sallyport Tower - Details
Title of image: Sallyport Tower, Newcastle upon Tyne
Description: A photograph of the inner face of Sallyport Tower taken in 1900. Sallyport Tower has been altered and added to, and little of the original tower can be seen. Two men are standing to the left of an arched entrance way which leads into the tower. A building adjoins Sallyport tower to the right. The forecourt in front of the tower is cobbled.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Walls Collection
Accession number: NCL 012028
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle town wall, Wallknoll or Sallyport Tower
Walknoll, Sallyport or (Ships) Carpenters' Tower was presumably that which caused the emigration of the Carmelite Friars at the beginning of the 14th century. It was originally a rectangular tower, 28 feet North-South, 25.5 feet East-West, projecting to the field and standing on the hill at a point where the wall changed direction. It had a vaulted basement, 3 loops (on the East, West and North sides), all outside the curtain, a South door and a newel stair in the South-West angle. The stair once led to a mural chamber in the curtain wall, and presumably to the wall walk and roof of the tower. At the South end of its East wall was the sallyport through the curtain. In 1716 the Shipwrights' Company enlarged the tower, giving it a long East-West axis, and built a hall on the first floor with access by stairs at the East end. The Company retained it until the mid-19th century after which it had a number of uses and was rescued from dereliction and possibly demolition in the 1960s. SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT AND LISTED GRADE 1
<< HER 1562 >> J. Brand, 1789, History of Newcastle, I, 17-18 R.E. Hooppell, 1886, The Town Wall of Newcastle-upon-Tyne in Pandon Dene, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XI, 238 S. Holmes, 1896, The Town Walls of Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVIII, 19-20 C.H.H. Blair, et al. 1958, Wall Knoll, Sallyport or Carpenters' Tower, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XXXVI, 61-72; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p 130-1.