Tyne and Wear HER(16317): Sunderland, Hudson Dock, George Clark Engine Works - Details
Sunderland, Hudson Dock, George Clark Engine Works
Engineering Industry Site
George Clark and Co. began as a general engineering works on Monkwearmouth North Quay in 1848. Clark began specialising in marine engineering and collaborated with a local ship builder called John Barkes, and their partnership is noted for building the first iron hulled ship on the River Wear. The George Clark and Co. works at South Dock Sunderland (Hudson Dock) were established in the 1860s as part of the North East Marine Engineering Co. The buildings standing in 2012 dated to the late 19th century (shown on the second edition ordnance survey 1897 revision) and were recorded by TWM before demolition. With the exception of some modern infilling and alterations the various elements of the buildings appear to have been built roughly around the same time in one phase of construction. Demolished traces of buildings were present in the form of scarring to the brickwork. Internally the building retained some original fixtures in the form of the infrastructure for travelling cranes and traces of railway lines wihtin the floors of the building, though none of the original equipment which were occupied the buildings remained. The buildings were brick built with corrugated metal roofs covering steel framework.
Tyne and Wear Musuems, 2012, George Clark Buildings, Sunderland - historic building recording