You are Here: Home / Sunniside village
Described by Whellan in 1856 as 'a hamlet, five miles south-west of Newcastle. Here is a chapel-of-ease dedicated to St. Mary'. The village was formed after the Gateshead to Wolsingham turnpike was built after 1797 and after the land of Black Burn Fell was enclosed (the enclosure awards were announced in November 1812). Five men were awarded plots of land which came to form the main road through Sunniside. John, Earl of Strathmore, was allotted land where The Crescent, Sun Hill, The Potter's Wheel, Bowes Close, Sunniside Wood are now located. Sir Thomas Henry Liddell was allotted the land where Burdon Park, Alexandra Park, The allotments and Sunniside methodist church now stand. Robert Thirlaway was allotted 3 acres where Granby, Thirlaway and Ravensworth Terrace now stand, and what was known as Snow's Field. Martin Brown, a grocer at Old Sunniside, was given the land where the Rising Sun, Larch, Beech and Elm Streets now stand. Luke Brown, also of Old Sunniside, was given the land where Dewhurst Terrace and Elm Street West now stand. The Rising Sun pub was puilt first, then the chapel, then the hall in 1837. Granby Terrace from 1841 to 1861. Dewhurst Terrace in 1902. New methodist church, Sun Street, the Travellers Rest, Alexandra Terrace, 1-2 Gateshead Road from 1910 to 1914. The present petrol station site was built on from 1919.