Tyne and Wear HER(1828): Killingworth, Anti-Aircraft Supply Depot - Details
Killingworth, Anti-Aircraft Supply Depot
Anti Aircraft Defence Site
Anti-Aircraft Ordnance Depot No 75 was built as a facility for servicing anti-aircraft batteries defending the area north of the River Tyne. It was built c.1938 and is one of a small number of known Emergency Equipment Ammunition Magazines (EEAM) constructed throughout the UK in anticipation of war. It had a dual function - to act as the primary local supply depot for ammunition used by anti-aircraft facilities in the area and to act as a centre for storage and maintenance of vehicles and armaments required by the batteries. The complex was split into three - an ammunition storage zone, vehicle/arms storage zone and acomodation, welfare and administration zone. Subsequent to the war the complex served as a depot for vehicle maintenance by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) until 1976. Between 1979 and the mid 1990s the complex was used as a central store for the Area Health Authority. Many buildings were demolished or altered at this time. Since the mid 1990s the buildings have been out of use and falling into disrepair.
<< HER 1828 >> A.Rudd, Defence of Britain Project, 1996, List of Known Fortifications in Tyne and Wear; Northern Archaeological Associaties Ltd. 2014, Former Ministry of Defence Depot, Killingworth - Buildings Survey and Assessment of Significance