Tyne and Wear HER(1988): Sunderland, South Wearmouth village - Details
Sunderland, South Wearmouth village
Bede wrote that Bishop Benedict brought back from a journey to Rome, two silk cloaks which he gave to King Alfrid of Northumbria in exchange for the vill of South Wearmouth "which lay on the south bank of the Wear and so opposite the monastery". It is not clear whether the 7th century vill referred to by Bede is early evidence of the settlement which became Sunderland (HER ref. 170) or whether it was the settlement which became known as Bishopwearmouth (HER ref. 163). The description, opposite the monastery, would most accurately fit Sunderland.
<< HER 1988 >> Northern Archaeological Associates, 2003, Low Street, Sunderland Archaeological Assessment, p 6. P. Wilcock (trans), 1818, Bede, The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth, p 23; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2011, Noble's Quay, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Watching Brief