Tyne and Wear HER(1989): Sunderland, Medieval Port - Details
Sunderland, Medieval Port
Dock and Harbour Installation
The charter of Hugh Pudsey (1180-1183) is the first clear evidence for the existence of the Port of Southern Wearmouth, or Sunderland, as a place of maritime commerce. It has been suggested that Hugh Pudsey granted a borough charter in order to foster the development of a port. During the 13th century the staples of the port were salt and herrings. In the 14th century and 15th century, salmon fished by the means of yares (dams), probably impeded commercial growth of the port by blocking the river channel, though by 1396 a small amount of coal was being exported. In 1503 the master of the cell of Monkwearmouth received 4 shillings for the anchorage and groundage of ships.
<< HER 1989 >> R. Surtees, 1816, History of ... Durham, Vol 1, p 255 T. Corfe, 1973, History of Sunderland, p 28 N. Pevsner, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 447 J. Raine, (ed) 1854, The Inventories and Account Rolls of the Benedictine Houses or Cells of Jarrow and Monkwearmouth