Tyne and Wear HER(2334): South Shields, Sand End Shipyards - Details
South Shields, Sand End Shipyards
Marine Construction Site
Three shipyards are shown at Sand End to the north of the Lawe at South Shields on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan. The yards are divided by narrow landings. Internal features include slipways and small structures, the functions of which are not indicated, but may well have been for repairing vessels. By the time of the second edition Ordnance Survey plan, the west yard had been bought by Rennoldson and converted to iron construction. The middle yard had fallen into disuse, but is annotated ‘Engineering Works (Disused)’ and the slipways shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan are now described as ‘old’. By the 1900s, the middle yard was once again in use as a shipyard.
<< HER 2334 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 4 N.J., Middlemiss, 1993, British Shipbuilding Yards, Vol 1, p 137 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record; A.C. Flagg, 1979, The History of Shipbuilding in South Shields 1746-1946; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2003, River Drive, South Shields - Archaeological Assessment; AD Archaeology, 2013, River Drive, South Shields - Archaeological Assessment