Tyne and Wear HER(2518): Hebburn, Hebburn Hall Ponds - Details
Hebburn, Hebburn Hall Ponds
Water Supply and Drainage
Known locally as 'The Lakes'. These were four man made ponds established by damming the Bede's Burn in the 1890s. Their primary role was to provide water for industries. Stone from local quarries was used to form the east side of the eastern-most pond [www.999hebburn.co.uk]. The ponds and their environs were used for recreational purposes - swimming, walking and boating. A boat house was built by 1897. The ponds were drained by 1968 by Hebburn Council and Hebburn Parkview County Infants School built. The site is now occupied by Hebburn Comprehensive School.
<< HER 2518 >> 2nd edition, Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3, SE; Simpson & Brown and South Tyneside Council, 2007, Hebburn Hall Conservation Area - First draft Character Appraisal; www.hebburn.org; www.norman.dunn247.com; www.999hebburn.co.uk