Tyne and Wear HER(279): Rainton manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
In origin Rainton manor was part of the ancient estate of St. Cuthbert and property of the prior and convent of Durham. It was, however, specifically described as the manor of "Estrainton" in the bursar's account of 1365-6. In 1350-1 there is record of the building of a new grange there.
<< HER 279 >> Prior's Kitchen Durham, Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, med. Bursar's account rolls J. Fielding, 1980, A Study of the Buildings on the Bursar's Manors of Durham Cathedral Priory, Durham University Unpublished M.A. thesis, passim W. Greenwell, ed. 1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, Vol. 58, pp. Prior's Kitchen Durham, Church Commission, 1840, C.C. no. 13661 Prior's Kitchen Durham, Halmote Books, 1409; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p130