Tyne and Wear HER(2982): Great Eppleton, Eppleton Colliery - Details
Great Eppleton, Eppleton Colliery
Coal Mining Site
The colliery was started in 1825 and produced its first coals in 1833 via the Jane Pit. The workmen in these early years lived in houses built of sod at Low Downs, along with the colliery horses. In 1836 an explosion killed 20 men. The Caroline pit had been abandoned in 1832 but was reopened and deepened in 1853. A surface fire in 1867 caused the death of one man underground. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan shows a gin-gan, gas house and two reservoirs within the Eppleton Colliery site, which was served by the Hetton Railway, Eppleton Branch (HER ref. 2986). The New Pit or Lindsay Shaft was sunk in 1870. The Jane and Caroline engine houses were built in 1880 and the signal system in the Caroline Shaft electrified in 1883. In 1895 3 men died from foul air. In 1925 the Jane Pit was reopened to reach the Busty Seam, and the pithead baths were opened in 1930. In 1933 the colliery manager, Mr. Stokoe was crushed to death by wagons. In 1951 9 men were killed in an explosion. The same year the Hawthorn mine complex was started involving Eppleton and Elemore Pits. It was completed in 1958 and was still working in 1978.
<< HER 2982 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham, 21 1978, A Brief Chronology of Eppleton Colliery; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; F. Atkinson, 1980, North East England - People at Work 1860-1950; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p232-243