Tyne and Wear HER(3009): Harraton, Wagonway - Details
Part of Humble's waggonway established in 1741 to transport coal from pits on Birtley Common to a staith at Fatfield. In 1754, the line was taken up by Thomas Donnison to move coal from South Birtley Colliery. It became a major main way with branches to North Birtley, Black Fell (HER 17097), Harraton Boundary Moor (HER 14891) and Harraton Outside (HER 2547). Marked as ‘Old’ on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan so was probably out of use by 1858. This may have served the Anna Bella and Ayton Pits (HER ref. 3007 and HER ref. 3008, respectively). Its southern end coincided with the northern end of the Fatfield Wagonway (HER ref. 3018).
<< HER 3009 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; Tithe map of Harraton in the parish of Chester-le-Street, 1847; William Oliver, 1851, Map of the coalfield of Northumberland and Durham; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2008, An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment: The Former Goodyear Dunlop Tyre Factory, Wear Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2009, An Archaeological Evaluation at The Former Goodyear Dunlop Tyre Factory, Wear Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2010, An Archaeological Excavation at The Former Goodyear Dunlop Tyre Factory, Wear Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 77/77a) p172