Tyne and Wear HER(3022): Harraton Colliery - Details
Coal Mining Site
Harraton Colliery. This was served by a Tramway and Harraton Wagonway, (HER 3023 and HER 3036 respectively). Opened before 1794, closed 29 May 1965. There were three pits - Big Pit, Billy Pit and Row Pit (HER 3024). Owners were Messrs Lamb & Co, then in the 1850s Stobbart, Bell & Co, then the Earl of Durham. By 1896 the Lambton Colleries LTD owned the colliery. 1947 the National Coal Board took over. In 1894 350 people worked here.
<< HER 3022 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2008, An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment: The Former Goodyear Dunlop Tyre Factory, Wear Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear; Durham County Record Office NCB 24/117; MJT Lewis, 1970, Early Wooden Railways; J Hatcher, 1986, The History of the British Coal Industry, Vol 1 - Before 1700; G. Cookson, no date, Coal Trade on the Wear before 1800, England's Past for Everyone website; E. Mackenzie and M. Ross, 1834, An Historical, Topographical and Descriptive View of the County Palatine of Durham; A.L. Lind, 1974, The History of Fatfield and Harraton; www.tomorrows-history.com; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Maureen Anderson, Durham Mining Disasters, c.1700 - 1950s