Tyne and Wear HER(3204): East Rainton, Railway Spur - Details
East Rainton, Railway Spur
Railway Transport Site
With the development of more effective pumping engines to drain previously unworkable deep coal seams and the development of nucleated collieries, the Rainton Waggonway, especially its southern lines, was extensively upgraded and re-organised by the Tempests, to whom it had passed by marriage from the Whartons in 1730. A number of new branch lines to collieries were constructed between 1816 and 1826. The line to Low Moorsley Pit was opened in 1821. This railway spur led from a coal depot, (HER 3203) to Dun Well Pit and the Rainton and Seaham Railway, North Hetton Branch (HER numbers 3206 and 3205 respectively).
<< HER 3204 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 87E) p 163 and 172; Bell, 1829, Map of the Coalfield (TWAS 2/421)