Tyne and Wear HER(3314): Ryton, Townley Main Colliery (Emma Colliery) - Details
Ryton, Townley Main Colliery (Emma Colliery)
Coal Mining Site
Townley Main Colliery was served by the Townley Main Wagonway, (SMR 3317), which linked to it. The 1st edition OS mapping shows the Emma Pit, a gasometer and smithy in the complex. Opened 1845 and closed April 1968. Owned by the Stella Coal Co in the 1850s, and from 1947 the National Coal Board. Whellan reported that in 1894 the colliery produced 550 tons of coal per day.
<< HER 3314 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 1; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk