Tyne and Wear HER(3315): Ryton, Wagonway - Details
This short length of wagonway is marked as ‘Old’ on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan, so was probably out of use by 1856. It may have been part of the Ryton Woodside Branch of the Crawcrook Wagonway. A Plan of Coomb Hills Farm at Woodside from 1795 shows that the Ryton Woodside Way bore north to meet the Crawcrook Way at Barmoor (see HER ref. 1806). The extant embankment west of Woodside Lane therefore did not belong to it but to the iron railway built in 1836 for the new Glebe Pit.
<< HER 3315 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 1 Bennett, G, Clavering, E & Rounding, A, 1989, A Fighting Trade, Vol 2, Map C and Plan 50 M. Fleck, 1795, A Plan of Coomb Hills Farm etc at Woodside -Durham Records Office EP/Ryt 2/6; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 69A) 155, 171; Gibson's Map of the Collieries, 1787