Tyne and Wear HER(3557): Blaydon Burn, Greenwell Mill - Details
Blaydon Burn, Greenwell Mill
Greenwell Mill (Corn), also known as Robinson's Mill and Shipping's Mill was for sale in 1813 as a working Flint Mill, with a flint kiln, but by 1896 only the chimney remained (perhaps suggesting it was a steam mill). The Newcastle Courant of 24th April 1813 carried the following notice: "To be let at May day next, a mill situated at Blaydon Burn, the property of the late Mr. Robert Paddison, lately deceased, has been employed in the manufacture of flint for different potteries, in an extensive line, together with flint kiln, a good dwelling house and all other suitable conveniences for carrying on the same. The miller on the spot will show the premises, and for further particulars enquire of Elizabeth Paddison, who will treat for the same… Greenwell House 13/4/1813". The mill is marked on the tithe map of 1838 and the 1st edition map (surveyed c.1855), as is Greenwell House. It is marked as ‘disused’ on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1898.
<< HER 3557 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 6 Tyne & Wear HER, Blaydon Burn File