Tyne and Wear HER(3560): Blaydon Burn, Betsy Pit/Belsay Pit - Details
Blaydon Burn, Betsy Pit/Belsay Pit
Coal Mining Site
Betsy Pit (Coal), also known as Belsay Pit became part of Blaydon Burn Colliery, eventually closing in the 1950s. This small pit belonged to Joseph Cowen who owned the brickworks (HER ref. 1646 and 3434) in 1896. On the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan this is marked as the Belsay Pit. At that time there was no range of buildings, but two structures on either side of the mouth of the mine had been constructed by 1896. This formed part of what became known as Blaydon Burn Colliery.
<< HER 3560 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 6 Tyne & Wear HER, Blaydon Burn File; http://www.dmm.org.uk