Tyne and Wear HER(4224): Throckley, Throckley Colliery (Isabella) - Details
Throckley, Throckley Colliery (Isabella)
Coal Mining Site
The Throckley Coal Company was formed in 1862 and included Major Stephenson, John Spencer (of Newburn Steelworks), Mr. Simpson and Mr. Boyd. The main drawing shaft - the Isabella shaft - was named after the wife of the company director. This was not the only shaft - the Derwentwater was the third shaft on the site. The coal seam exploited was the Brockwell seam. The colliery was not noted for any mechanisation by 1945. Coal production ceased in January 1954. Selected demolition/salvage had taken place of the Derwentwater winding machinery from 1938 to 1940.
<< HER 4224 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 96, NE J.T. Tuck, 1993, The Colleries of Northumberland, Vol 1, p 95-98; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Newburn History Trail, 1996, p 16