Fast Search

You are Here: Home / South Shields, Mill Dam, Customs House

Tyne and Wear HER(4529): South Shields, Mill Dam, Customs House - Details

Back to Search Results


S Tyneside

South Shields, Mill Dam, Customs House

South Shields



Maritime Office

Custom House

Early Modern


Extant Building

This building of 1863-64, by T.H. Clemence, architect (borough engineer) was originally the Customs House built just before South Shields was declared a separate customs port in 1865. The addition of 1878 was built to house the offices of the local Marine Board. It consists of an open arcade on coupled rusticated piers with three large depressed arches. Above are three bays divided by coupled Corinthian half columns, in the centre supporting a big pediment (with coat of arms carved by T.W. Howe). It is built of white brick with stone dressings. The three-bay extension is by J.H. Morton, 1878. It was restored in 1984. LISTED GRADE 2




<< HER 4529 >> Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest; North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, September 2006, Mill Dam Conservation Area; George B. Hodgson, 1996, Borough of South Shields (first published 1903); N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham

Back to Search Results