Tyne and Wear HER(4895): Newcastle, Forth Banks Brewery - Details
Newcastle, Forth Banks Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
William Potter & Co. were 'beer and porter brewers' here from 1787. Baillie's directory of 1801 lists the business as Messrs Potter, Langhorn & Co. in Skinnergate. In 1818 they also had a brewery at Swalwell with Robert Jobling and Cresswell Jobling, trustees of Margaret Jobling and Addison Langhorn Potter. William Potter and Addison Langhorn Potter ran the business from then on. Shown on Oliver 1831. The last directory entry for the Newcastle Brewery is 1844. A 'Malthouse' is still shown on the site on OS 1879 25" edition. Gone by at least 1940.
<< HER 4895 >> Oliver, 1831 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1879, 25 inch scale; Brian Bennison, 2000, Tyneside's Most Respectable Breweries of 1801, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol. XXVIII, pp 218-219