Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Chopwell grange

Tyne and Wear HER(496): Chopwell grange - Details

Back to Search Results


496


Gateshead


Chopwell grange


Chopwell


NZ15NW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Grange


Cistercian Grange


Medieval


C12


Documentary Evidence


Chopwell, a tract of land lying largely on the north bank of the Derwent, was granted to Newminster Abbey in the mid-12th century. The location of its built core, which came to be called a grange in the 13th century and a manor in the 14th century, is assumed to be the site of Chopwell Hall. After the Dissolution much of it was split into farms, but Chopwell Woods was reserved by the Crown in the later 16th century. West Chopwell farmhouse, immediately west of the Hall (built c.1721), is probably of comparable date. Aerial photographs show evidence for structures not shown on historic maps, and geophysical survey has also showed up a complex of anomalies around the site of the Hall, which is now vacant land.


1215


5865


NZ12155865



<< HER 496 >> Rev. J.T. Fowler, 1878, The Newminster Cartulary, Surtees Society, 66 (for 1876), pp. 45-54 and passim. Armstrong, C188, Clavering and Cowper rentals etc. 309 G4 and 5 -Northumberland Records Office Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Gibson, J. Fryer, 1793, Plan of an estate at Chopwell belonging to…Earl Cowper, 110 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Awards, 1852, Chopwell, D13 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Clayton and Gibson, 1852, Lease of coal mines in Chopwell Woods Bute, I 17 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham V.11 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of…Durham, II, p. 439 R. Surtees, 1820, History of…Durham, II, pp. 276-283 W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, pp. 164-9 K. Hordon & A. Wright, 1995, Coal, Community & Conflict - A History of Chopwell J.C. Mabbitt, 2003, Tyne and Wear Museums, Chopwell Hall, Gateshead, Archaeological Assessment Timescape Surveys, 2003, Geophysical survey at Chopwell Manor; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, Chopwell Hall, Gateshead - Archaeological Evaluation

Back to Search Results