Tyne and Wear HER(5006): Gibside - Details
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
18th century landscape park and woodland, c.150 hectare. Gibside Hall built 1603-20 by William Blakiston, enlarged mid 18th century, again c.1805 by Alexander Gilkie. Additions by John Dobson 1856. Gutted 1920s, partly demolished 1958. Walled kitchen garden 18th century, 400 metres south-west of Hall. Mid 18th century work by Daniel Garrett for Geprge Bowes included new laundry 1744 (demolished), stables 1748 (300 metres south-east of Hall). Banqueting House 1751, 400 metres south-east (ruined, restored by Landmark Trust 1980). Garrett possibly also responsible for a Gothic Tower 1743 (demolished). James Paine designed Chapel and Mausoleum for George Bowes 1760-67, completed 1812, 700 metres south-west of Hall. Orangery c.1760, probably by Paine (ruined, to west of Hall). Column to British Liberty, by Garrett 1750-57, completed by Paine, with statue above carved by Christopher Richardson, 400 metres north-east of Hall. The park at Gibside slopes from south-east to north-west towards the winding valley of the Derwent. Gibside Hall overlooks the river, with mainly wooded ground to north-east and east, more open parkland to south and south-west, but affected by forestry plantation. Park probably laid out by the owner, George Bowes (1701-60), who moved to Gibside 1725 having inherited the estates of Streatlam and Gibside in 1722. Bowes acquainted with Stephen Switzer, though Switzer's connection with garden work at Gibside has not been established. From 1729-30 Bowes began plantations and the laying out of a serpentine drive through the estate, which allowed brief and changing views of the house and various features of the estate. The buildings listed above were also connected by a network of straight paths or avenues to allow lengthy and striking vistas. An octagonal basin, with fountain, 1742 400 metres south-east of Hall, was to be aligned with the Banqueting House further south-east, and in 1746-49 Bowes laid out the Great Walk, stretching for 1km north-east/south-west along a crest of the estate. This broad terrace walk was to be completed by the building of the Chapel and the Column to British Liberty. Walled garden north west of long walk, less connected with overall design. Orangery has parapet urns and steps leading to lawns where there was another fountain, now gone. Estate now in divided ownership. The Chapel and Terrace Avenue (5 hectare) given to National Trust 1965. Much of remaining estate leased by Forestry Commission. This interesting and beautiful estate, now neglected dates back as far as we know to 1200, when it was in the possession of the Marleys of Marley Hill, by whom it was held until 1540. Failing an heir, it passed by the marriage of the only daughter Elizabeth to Roger Blakiston of Coxhoe. About the year 1694 there was again an heiress, and by her marriage to Sir William Bowes, the estate came into the family of the Bowes of Streatlam Castle. Gibside was then deserted until 1721, when the younger son of Sir William Bowes inherited both estates. When Thomas Bowes failed to produce an heir in 1885, the estates reverted to the Earls of Strathmore. REGISTERED HISTORIC PARK.
<< HER 5006 >> English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, 1983, County Durham F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 14-16 1952, Country Life, 8 Feb 1952, p 354 1952, Country Life, 15 Feb 1952, p 422. 1979, Country Life, 27 Dec 1979, p 2460 B. Jones, 1974, Follies and Grottoes, p 398 History of Whickham Pamphlet M. Wills, 1995, Gibside and the Bowes family W.A. Fairhurst & Partners, 2002, Gibside Estate - Countryside Stewardship Scheme, Restoration and Management; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Gibside Conservation Area, pp 51-53; On-Site Archaeology, 2012, Gibside, Burnopfield - Archaeological Evaluation; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2011, New car parking Warren Haugh and West Wood, Gibside - Archaeological Assessment