Tyne and Wear HER(630): Ryton mill - Details
Water Power Production Site
The earliest reference to a mill at Ryton is in Boldon Buke (1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset) , when it was held by the men of Ryton, and in the late 14th century the men of Ryton still held what was then specifically described as a watermill, for the rent of 106s 8d. In 1647 there was a water corn mill in Ryton Lordship, leased from the Bishop of Durham in a document dated 24th October 1631. Whether these references are all to the same mill is impossible to say, and where it/they may have been sited is unknown, but Holburn Dene is a likely possibility.
<< HER 630 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, 68 W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, 92 D.A. Kirby, ed. 1972, Parliamentary Surveys of the Bishopric of Durham, Surtees Society, II 185, 55 W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, 2, 38