Tyne and Wear HER(632): Winlaton village - Details
The earliest reference to Winlaton is in Boldon Buke (1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset) , where it was coupled with Barlow. At the time of Hatfield's Survey in the late 14th century it was held by Lord Nevill. The Nevills continued to hold Winlaton until 1569 when it was sold to a group of Newcastle merchants with coal-mining interests. The plan in the mid-19th century there was a rough burgage layout south of Front Street, and the north side had a narrow row of houses in front of Back Street.
<< HER 632 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 69 W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, p. 93 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham, II, pp. 556-8 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, 272, 274 W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, 111-145 W.W. Gibson, 1945, The Manor of Winlaton, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XXIII, 8-26 Enclosure Awards, 1829, Ryton Woodside and Winlaton, Q.D.B6.24 -Durham Records Office Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Awards, 1840 Winlaton Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Ordnance Survey maps, 1st ed. 1:2500 VI.1 B.K. Roberts & D. Austin, 1975, A Preliminary Check-List of Rural Clusters in County Durham, p. 39; N.G. Rippeth, 1990, Blaydon in old picture postcards; Ian Nairn, 1964, A Townscape Gazetteer - County Durham, Architectural Review, Vol. 135 (1964) p 120