Tyne and Wear HER(638): Stella, Stephen's Hall, mine shafts - Details
Stella, Stephen's Hall, mine shafts
Mine Drainage and Ventilation Site
Aerial photographs of the Stephen's Hall area revealed two concentric rings, the inner 7.5 m diam, the outer 18 m diameter The supposed rectangular enclosure within which they lay was caused by modern field drains. In 1988 a trench was cut through the site in advance of opencasting, and the findings were interpreted as an infilled mine shaft perhaps abandoned c. 17th-18th century. The second site was probably a shaft first recorded in, but long abandoned before, 1888.
<< HER 638 >> Aerial Photograph, N. McCord, 1970, Stephen's Hall, 13 Aug. A/069656/64-66 -Museum of Antiquities Aerial Photograph, N. McCord, 1970, Stephen's Hall, 10 Aug. A/069599/9-11 - Museum of Antiquities N. McCord, & G. Jobey, 1971, Notes on Air Reconnaissance in Northumberland and Durham, Archaeologia Aeliana, II, 4, XLIX, 126 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 23 no. 3 and p. 120 plate 2.2.4 S. Speak, 1989, Excavations at Stephen's Hall North Farm, Ryton S. Speak, 1987, Northern Archaeology, Vol. 8, pp. 25-27