Tyne and Wear HER(640): Fugar House, manor - Details
Fugar House, manor
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
The earliest reference is a charter of 1296 published by Surtees, the early 19th century antiquarian, who wrote that 120 acres of waste created out of Whickham Wood had been the origin of the estate. In the late 14th century the earl of Northumberland held the manor of "Fuger-hous" and 100 acres by charter and foreign service. In the mid 19th century it appears from historic maps to have become a courtyard farm with gingan. The farm had been much reduced in size by 1897, was demolished in or before the 1970s, and the site seems now to be a carpark for visitors to the wood, where there remain traces of its orchard.
R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, 245; W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, p. 93; 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham Durham VI.7; Ordnance Survey maps, 1897, 2nd ed. 1:2500, Durham VI.7; Ordnance Survey maps, 1919, 3rd ed. 1:2500, Durham VI.7; Ordnance Survey maps, 1939, 1:2500, Durham VI.7; Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Streetgate, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/streetgate.html