Tyne and Wear HER(660): Ravensworth, Blackburn Mill - Details
Ravensworth, Blackburn Mill
Water Power Production Site
In the late 13th century Robert son of John de Rasinswrthe granted Sir John Fitz- Marmaduke half his mill on Thame (Team), and the grantee agreed "not to make a mill on the north up to Blakeburne". If both parties agreed, the mill could be moved to a more suitable place on their lands between the vill of Lamesley and Blakeburne. By 1480 a mill called Blackburn mill existed, and was part of a grant returning property to Bertram Lumley. It is mentioned again in 1536. In both documents it is described as in the lordship of Raveneshelm. The Black Burn runs north of Ravensworth Park and formed the north boundary of the township of Lamesley. The site of the mill is unknown, but the name Millgreen Cottage is known on the south side of the burn.
<< HER 660 >> H.E. Bell, 1939, Calendar of Deeds given to the Society by Lord Ravensworth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XVI, pp. 43-70, nos. 27, 61, 75