Tyne and Wear HER(665): Lamesley park - Details
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
In a grant of 1353 there is reference to "the chief messuage and park of Lamesley, namely from the road leading from Eighton to Lamesley church, with le halorchard and le vynermedowe, and thus to Britleywood...". It had been in the possession of Eleanor, lady of Raueneshelm, who had leased it to John Coke of Prudhoe, this lease being extended in 1353 by Sir John Lumley. In 1480 a John Cok still held the park, and it is mentioned again in 1485. It was separated from Lamesley church by Thornclos, and from the Team by Prior Meadow, both lying on the west side of the park.
<< HER 665 >> H.E. Bell, 1939, Calendar of Deeds given to the Society by Lord Ravensworth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XVI, pp. 43-70, nos. 39, 61-2, 67