Tyne and Wear HER(671): Lamesley manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
There are spasmodic references to the manor of Lamesley from 1288, when Bishop Bec granted Sir John Fitz-Marmaduke free warren in the demesne lands of the manors of Lamesley and Ravensworth, to 1498, when Isabel, heir of Bertram Lumley, was confirmed in possession of the two manors and other lands. In 1472 it is recorded that William Lumley died seised of "the manor of Lamesely, containing 60 acres arable, 50 acres pasture, 10 acres meadow, 40 acres wood, and of 4 husbandlands in Eghton, parcel of the manor, containing 60 acres arable, 1 acre meadow, 50 acres pasture... The manor held of the bishop by suit to the county court of Durham every quindene".
<< HER 671 >> H.E. Bell, 1939, Calendar of Deeds given to the Society by Lord Ravensworth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XVI, pp. 43-70, nos. 19, 31 ii, 35, 45, 56, 70