Tyne and Wear HER(700): Gateshead, High Street, Quaker Meeting House 2 - Details
Gateshead, High Street, Quaker Meeting House 2
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Nonconformist Meeting House
Friends Meeting House
In 1660 the Gateshead Friends' meeting house was in the High Street on property belonging to Richard Ewbank, indicating that they had left their first meeting house in Pipewellgate. Their burying place, which adjoined this second house, was in use until 1698. There were some repairs to the house in the 1680s, but the Friends were anxious to have a meeting house in Newcastle and duly opened one in 1698, the Gateshead one being closed in 1699. In 1731 the Gateshead site was reoccupied by Thomas Powell's almshouse which survived until 1947. The site appears to have been on the east side of High Street opposite the end of Swinburne Street.
<< HER 700 >> M. Phillips, 1894, Notes on some forgotten Burying Grounds of the Society of Friends, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XIV, 192-5 F.W.D. Manders, 1973, A History of Gateshead, pp. 156, 232 TW.H. Knowles & J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, Early Quakerism in Gateshead, pp. 29-39