Tyne and Wear HER(73): Bishopwearmouth, Low Row, Green's Public House, paved roadway - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Low Row, Green's Public House, paved roadway
Road Transport Site
During the rebuilding of the ancient 'Hat and Feather' Inn, Low Row, a licensed house of early 18th century or earllier origin, the contractors came upon a section of an ancient roadway at a depth of about twelve feet below the level of the present street, in the Inn yard, adjoining the disused burial ground of Bishopwearmouth Church. The pavement was...of cobble stones, in a splendid state of preservation. At the same depth, and close to the ancient pavement, were the thick walls of what had been the boundary or retaining wall of a burn. No information is provided to indicate why it was not the floor of the cellar.
<< HER 73 >> J. Robinson, 1907, Roman Road and Remains at Bishopwearmouth, Antiquities of Sunderland,Vol. V (for 1904), p. 5