Tyne and Wear HER(7366): Wallsend, High Street East, Town Hall - Details
Wallsend, High Street East, Town Hall
Town Hall, now Borough offices. 1907-8 by E.F.W. Liddle and P.L. Brown for the Borough of Wallsend. Bright red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings. Welsh slate roof with copper corner turret roof. Baroque style. Two storeys. Round-headed double door and balustraded balcony to first floor window under arch. Borough arms in panel above. Round-headed mullioned and transomed windows in ground floor. Sash windows first floor with Ionic columns and balustraded parapet. Clock in right pavilion. Opened 16th September 1908 and cost £15,657. The council chamber is lit by nine stained glass windows representing local heraldic devices. The clock was presented by first Mayor, William Boyd.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 7/155; W. Richardson, 1923, History of Parish of Wallsend, pp 393-5