Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, High Street, Nos. 266 - 274, and Curley's Bar

Tyne and Wear HER(7507): Gateshead, High Street, Nos. 266 - 274, and Curley's Bar - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, High Street, Nos. 266 - 274, and Curley's Bar






Post Medieval


Extant Building

These three houses are of late C18 or circa 1800 {2}. DESCRIPTION / STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE This block of buildings is one of the earliest remaining on the High Street, and still retains its original form despite alterations. A 3 storey terrace of buildings including accommodation above and commercial premises to the fore, they are constructed of brick with stone lintels and cill bands and a partially remaining hipped Welsh slate roof. The early sash windows, without horns, are still in place to the northern end of the terrace, where there is also a good quality public house front of circa 1900, which contributes greatly to the interest of an already historically significant building. It is of elegant proportions with large panel engraved windows interspersed with timber pilasters sporting decorative arched capitals This building has suffered from settlement in the past, in all probability in relation to old coal workings which were a feature of the area. This is shown in the tie plates to the walls and the bowing of the walls. The adjacent premises have housed the local temperance bar, in the hands of the Law family, for 5 generations. It still retains a marble bar, and still serves sarsaparilla to Gateshead residents past and present. Internally there are some interesting and significant surviving features, such as panelling to windows, deep skirtings and cornicing, which indicate a date of around the turn of the 19th century. New cellar for Steel, Coulson & Co 1908/60 MATERIALS Brick, sandstone, timber DATES c1790 – 1800? ADDITIONAL INFORMATION In 1874/5 there was a cabinet maker at no. 270 and a provision merchant in 271-4. The pub was previously called the Phoenix (from at least 1873) but was commonly known as Curleys after early 20th century licensee Will Curley (who was a boxer) and later officially changed its name. James Lamb owner in 1870s. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/130; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 15; Christie's Trade Directory 1873/3 and 1874/5

Back to Search Results