Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Hebburn, Church Street, St Andrew's United Reformed Church

Tyne and Wear HER(8019): Hebburn, Church Street, St Andrew's United Reformed Church - Details

Back to Search Results


8019


S Tyneside


Hebburn, Church Street, St Andrew's United Reformed Church


Hebburn


NZ36NW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Nonconformist Chapel


Presbyterian Chapel


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Presbyterian, now United Reformed, church. 1872 by R J Johnson of Newcastle. Coursed sandstone rubble; Welsh slate roofs. Nave and transepts; west entrance porch; north-west tower. Decorated Gothic style. Porch has 3 crocketed gables, the central one high with bud finial and having marble shafts flanking double door; east gable has large round spoked window, both transepts have windows of 2 lights and a large 10-foiled round window over; broad 5-bay nave. Very tall and slender tower has much, decoration, including tall crocketed gablets to belfry openings with marble shafts. Interior : semicircular panelled wooden ceiling rising from ornate shafted corbels. Historical note: the building was the gift of Andrew Leslie, whose shipbuilding firm dominated Hebburn in the C19. It is prominent landmark at the top of the river valley. Former Church of St Andrew. LISTED GRADE 2


3053


6650


NZ30536650



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 1/76; National Monuments Record Monument No. 955543; Peter Ryder, 2014, St. Andrew Presbyterian Church & St. Andrew's Centre - Historic Buildings Recording

Back to Search Results