Tyne and Wear HER(803): Wallsend village - Details
With Willington, Wallsend is supposed to have been part of Bishop Walcher's gift to Durham Priory in 1072: it is certainly included in Henry II's confirmation charter. There is little information about the size of the medieval settlement, though in 1539 there were 2 cottages and 7 leaseholders, interpreted in the Northumberland County History as the early representatives of the township's 7 farms which survived at least as late as 1800. The site of the village is high up on the south side of the Wallsend Burn, the buildings being arranged around a very large green, and the whole - even today - retains its sub-circular shape. By the time of the Tithe Award of 1841 there were still 3 farms on the south side of the green, and 4 "mansion houses" on both north and south sides. The buildings on the south side have been replaced in the last 50 years or so.
<< HER 803 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 58, pp. xli, xlviii, lv, lxxxiv, 95, 104 & n, 208, 306,329 W. Richardson, 1923, History of the Parish of Wallsend, 27-45, 70-109 F. Bradshaw, 1907, The Black Death in the Palatinate of Durham, Archaeologia Aeliana, 3, III, pp. 157, 159 W.H. Longstaffe, J. Booth, ed. 1886, Durham Halmote Rolls, Surtees Society, 82, p. 208 Prior's Kitchen Durham, Church Commission, 1740, Durham Chapter Property at Wallsend, CC 13675 M.H. Dodds, ed. 1930, Northumberland County History, Wallsend Township, XIII, 456-70 Wallsend Vestry Minute Book, EP 44/30 -Northumberland Records Office Tithe Awards, 1841 Wallsend DT 474 M -Northumberland Records Office W. Hutchinson, 1776, View of Northumberland, II, 430 Ordnance Survey maps, 1858, 1st ed. 1:2500 89.13